DOCTOR WHO (DOUTOR WHO) IN PORTUGAL
Doctor Who did not screen on any local Portuguese television stations in the period that we cover in BroaDWcast.
(The Azores group of islands - an autonomous territory of Portugal - was the location of the US Lajes Air Base. Circa 1986, Doctor Who was shown there on the local AFRTS station.)
And those in north Portugal, close to the border with Galicia, the north western region of Spain, may have been able to view the Tom Baker stories airing on channel TVG (as "Doutor Who") that commenced from February 1988. (The Galician dialect shares much with Portuguese.)
According to ITV's Teletext service, it was announced in mid-1996 that Portugal was one of several countries to show an interest in purchasing the Paul McGann TV Movie, but as far as we have been able to tell, no local TV stations broadcast the film (however, as noted below, there may have been a VHS release instead).
In 1982, Editorial Presença, published the first of ten Portuguese translations of Target novelisations as part of their "Colecção Andrómeda" range; the other nine were published in 1983:
- (1) DOUTOR WHO E A INVASÃO DOS AUTONES (and the Invasion of the Autons) (Spearhead from Space)
- (2) DOUTOR WHO E OS MONSTROS DAS CAVERNAS (and the Monsters of the Caves / the Cave Monsters) (Doctor Who and the Silurians)
- (3) DOUTOR WHO E OS DEMÓNIOS (The Daemons)
- (4) DOUTOR WHO E A ARMA TOTAL (and the Ultimate Weapon) (Colony in Space)
- (5) DOUTOR WHO E OS DEMONIOS MARINHOS (and the Sea Demons) (The Sea Devils)
- (6) DOUTOR WHO E O DIA DOS DALEKS (Day of the Daleks)
- (7) DOUTOR WHO E OS DALEKS (The Daleks)
- (8) DOUTOR WHO E OS CRUZADOS (The Crusade)
- (9) DOUTOR WHO E OS ABOMINAVEIS HOMENS DAS NEVES (The Abominable Snowmen)
- (10) DOUTOR WHO E OS ZARBI (and the Zarbi) (The Web Planet)
These paperbacks featured unique wrap-around artwork covers.
The books retained all the internal illustrations (the Target fonts and interior layout were preserved). (In Dia dos Daleks, the Daleks chant "Será exterminado!", which is "He will be exterminated!")
There may have been a subtitled release of the TV Movie as a rental only video in Portugal in circa 1997, but we have not been able to verify this. (If so, it would have been released under the MCA/Universal/CIC Video brand.)
The 1999 DVD release of the special re-edit of The Five Doctors had Portuguese as a subtitle language option (although it's not known whether the DVD was actually sold in Portugal):
Portugal in Doctor Who
- The crew of the Mary Celeste sight the island of Santa Maria, which is one of the Azores group (The Chase).
- A brochure for "Summer Holidays in Spain & Portugal" can be seen in the travel agency window in Daleks - Invasion Earth 2150 AD.
- The Underwater Menace takes place on (and inside!) an island on the Atlantic ridge, west of Gibraltar, south of the Azores.
- Soldiers from the Peninsular War fought in The War Games.
- The Brazilian native, Latoni, speaks Portuguese (Black Orchid).