Resurrection of the Daleks
From BroaDWcastJump to navigationJump to search
|Story Code: 6P / Season 21||UK Airdate: 8 Feb to 15 Feb 1984||Doctor: Peter Davison|
|First airings by location||UK Repeats / Foreign Cable and Satellite||Previous Story / Next Story|
This story aired in the following known countries. They are listed in chronological order according to known airdate. If no month is noted, the actual airdate is not confirmed, and is a close approximate. (Refer also to Selling Doctor Who for expanded airdates.)
|United States||from Nov 84||NTSC|
|United Arab Emirates||Jan 88||PAL|
|New Zealand||Jun 89||PAL|
- The serial was originally made and edited as a 4-parter, but was modified into and aired as an extended 2-parter in the UK.
- It also aired in this format by the British Forces Broadcasting Service.
- All the other countries to screen the serial did so in an edited form --
- The serial was sold to Australia in its 2-part broadcast version, but the ABC cut the episodes in half for transmission -- new cliffhangers were thus created: the first falling on Lytton's line, "Release Davros", with the third falling on Davros's declaration that his Daleks would once again become "the Supreme beings!". These 25 minute episodes played without "Part Two / Three / Four" captions, and the 'new' parts two and four had very brief recaps. The same 'edited' versions later aired in New Zealand, and presumably also in the United Arab Emirates since it was also a PAL broadcaster.
- For US syndication, Lionheart was supplied with the dubbed final edit of the original 25 minute part 1 and an undubbed earlier edit of the 25 minute part 2, which had several extra scenes but no music or sound effects. Also supplied were copies of the two 45 minute edits, although Part 2 was an earlier cut minus its music and sound effects. Lionheart made its omnibus "movie" edition by joining together the two 45 minute edits (so the entire second half was the raw studio sound only), while the 4-part version consisted of the proper edit of episode 1, the undubbed episode 2, and new parts 3 and 4 created from cutting the undubbed 45 minute Part Two in half as had been done in Australia, but with a different cliffhanger ending: apparently the Doctor crying "You're destroying my mind!"
- Lionheart subsequently distributed brand new 4-part and "omnibus" edits with the proper soundtracks in 1986: WNYC in New York aired the corrected omnibus on 5 September 1986, and Canada's TVOntario screened the updated 4-part edit in December 1986. However, the "wrong" edits also remained in circulation throughout the late 1980s, which meant that stations in the US aired different versions of the story.
- The story was later dubbed into German and released on DVD. It was also released on DVD in the Netherlands (subtitled) in the mid-2000s.
US TV Guide descriptions
Title: Resurrection of the Daleks
- Episode 1: Dr. Who is trapped in a time corridor while the Daleks attempt to take over Earth.
- Episode 2:
- Episode 3:
- Episode 4:
- Compilation: Dr. Who is trapped in a time corridor while the Daleks attempt to take over Earth by duplicating top officials.